A little thing that could make my life a whole lot easier.
My therapist has given me lots of great advice. And I own around a dozen books devoted to mental health that do the same.
Good information. Lots of information. Sometimes hard to remember information. So, I sometimes wish I could lug my mental health bookshelf and session notes around with me.
But since I can’t do that, right now I wear for a bracelet to simply remind me when I’m in the throes of Anxiety to come back to the real present time rather than get stuck in a disastrous future I sometimes dream up.
Now, I want(ed) the bracelet to remind me of all the things I’ve learned from my therapy visits and books. But accessing my memory is hard when I’m falling into a panic attack.
So while I’ll keep my bracelet to help me remember the easy stuff, what I really want is a series of laminated cards, a durable bundle of small cheat sheets developed by a mental health professional that would succinctly walk me through successful life strategies and in-the-moment tactics to jar my brain into a better place.
Here’s a list of topics for cheat sheets I’d happily keep in my bag:
- healthy ways start your day off right
- proven relaxation techniques
- what you should do if you feel Anxiety approaching
- identifying your triggers
- how to survive a panic attack
- how to take care of yourself when you are depressed
- questions to ask yourself when you are anxious / depressed
- how to exit a public conversation when you feel yourself spiraling downward
Readers, feel free to suggest other cheat sheets you’d like.
And if anyone knows where I can actually find cheat sheets like this, let me (all of us) know. I’d gladly part with some cash to add this tool to my mental health toolbox.